返回列表 回復 發帖

MASCHERANO: WHY I'M SO SETTLED HERE

Six months ago Liverpoolfc.tv ventured to the club's training complex to conduct the first interview with Javier Mascherano since his drawn-out move from West Ham.

So many questions were waiting to be answered: What went wrong? Why would things be any different at Anfield? Could he really cut it in English football?

Just two days had elapsed since the Premier League ended one of the longest transfer sagas in history by approving Mascherano's move north, and he looked weary as he ambled into the Melwood press room.
The Argentine may have been flanked by an interpreter, but a mixture of shock and nerves meant his true thoughts were largely lost in translation.

Six months on and the change is palpable. The 23-year-old insists on doing today's interview in English - he says he must practise. Gone is the grimace; instead the man Maradona described as a "monster" wears a huge smile. It's team photo day, and he looks proud as punch as he pulls up a pew wearing full Liverpool attire.

Mascherano has found his mojo. Not that it's any use to us, for all those unanswered questions have already been put to bed on the pitch.

From his impressive debut against Sheffield United to his man-of-the-match display in the Champions League final, our new number 20 has proved he's worth a place in the "best midfield in the world".

Here he talks to Liverpoolfc.tv about life at Melwood, scoring goals, his best mates in the squad and John Arne Riise's hair.

Oh, and we also ask him to pick his LFC five-a-side team...

We last spoke in February when you first arrived on Merseyside. How pleased are you when you look back on the last six months?

I'm very happy. I got to play in a lot of games for Liverpool last season, and important games too. I played in a Champions League final - amazing. Also the semi-final against Chelsea, that was special. It all happened so quickly for me, so yes, I'm very pleased. Things couldn't have gone better.

Quite a turnaround from the way things were going at West Ham?
Yes. I think this is because the manager has confidence in me - very important. Rafa has helped me a lot. I was not playing at West Ham, but he came to London and he told me I could play for Liverpool, told me I could play in a good team. He said he needed me. When you are not getting a game for West Ham and the Liverpool manager is talking about you, you can't believe it. It is for this reason I am very happy here.

And you can talk with him in Spanish – that must help?

I arrived at West Ham and was in another country with another language and a different culture. It's a lot easier here because the manager is Spanish. I can talk with him, though not a lot because he likes to speak English. The lessons are going well, but I find that here in Liverpool the people are hard to understand. Scousers - it's very difficult.
Which players helped you settle in?

All my new teammates were great with me, helping me adapt to this new life here at another club. Up until a week or two ago I did everything with Gabby Paletta. I was with him all the time, but now I talk a lot with Sebastian Leto and also Alvaro Arbeloa. All the players at Liverpool are good, the atmosphere is great. You can talk to anyone.

So, you've been at the club a few months, your time in England hasn't been all that great, and all of a sudden you're playing in a Champions League final. Were you having to pinch yourself?

I couldn't believe what was happening. In six months at West Ham I'd played five or six games. It was very difficult for me to even go to training everyday, because I knew no matter what I would never play. The situation was very difficult. Then when I arrived here I still thought it was going to be very difficult for me to play, because Liverpool were one of the biggest clubs in the world and they already had Momo Sissoko, Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso in the midfield. When I got my opportunity, all I could do was try to do my best, but it was easier because I knew the people here rated me.

And you got the fans on side pretty much straight away. Now they sing that we've got the best midfield in the world. Can you sing it?

[Laughs] No, but I know the words – the one about Momo Sissoko, Xabi Alonso, Gerrard and Mascherano. I can hear them sing it and it makes me feel good. Like you said, I've been here just six months, so to have the fans sing my name already is just great. The Liverpool fans are fantastic – I have never seen anything like them at Anfield. No other fans sing like them, it's incredible.

Having the best midfield in the world means you sometimes have to sit out – how does it feel when you're sat on the bench?

Everybody wants to play football, but Liverpool have two players in every position. This is needed because we have four competitions to play in and we want to win them all. If this means I have to go to the bench sometimes, that's not important. What is important is that when I play, I have to play really good. The manager has to know I can do well when he needs me.

You mention there's two players in each position. Your direct rival as a sitting midfielder, if you like, is Xabi Alonso. Not an easy man to get out of the team, is he?

He is fantastic. I see that every day in training. I think he is one of the best midfielders in the world. The passes and the class – really good.
Then there's Lucas Leiva. He's arrived from Brazil but the Liverpool fans haven't seen a lot of him yet. How good can he be?
I played against him in Brazil when he was with Gremio and I was at Corinthians. He gave me a tough game, so I know he is a really good player. But when you arrive in another country you have new teammates and you have to learn a language. Maybe you have to play in a different way, so you need time.

One of your fellow midfielders, Momo Sissoko, got his first Liverpool goal a week ago. What were you thinking when that went in? How long are we going to have to wait for your first strike?

It was fantastic. He is a really good person, and a big man. As for me, maybe I haven't got a goal, but I've never scored many throughout my career. It would be fantastic to score for Liverpool but sometimes it's hard from my position. I will try but I don't know if I can do it.

You got a couple of goals this summer in the Copa America, but like the Champions League, that ended in defeat in the final. How has that affected you?

To big involved in two great finals and not win one, it's very disappointing. The Champions League final is the dream for any player, and the Copa America is very important for my country. I was very disappointed - I am very disappointed.

Do these disappointments make you more determined to win things with Liverpool this year?

I don't know if it makes me more determined. When you lose in football, you can't turn back time and change anything. All I can look at is the four trophies Liverpool can win. I think this season we can win any trophy we are in, because we have a very good squad and have made a good start.

I want to talk to you about life at Melwood. In any squad you get vocal players and those who are quiet. Where do you fit in?

I'm quiet, very much so. Everyone is like that here really. I like it in this city because it's relaxed and quiet. Life is good in Liverpool. I don't go out too much. My life is at home playing with my daughter.

Who are the more vocal members of the squad?

Carra is talking and Jermaine Pennant is always happy. He is very funny.

Do your teammates have a nickname for you?

I don't have one. Arbeloa has one: we call him 'Vareta Fly'. I don't know why, I think that's just what they call him in Spain. We call John Riise 'Ginger' [Laughs].

Does he not mind?

[Still laughing] No, no. Everyone shouts 'Ginger, Ginger', I don't know what he thinks!

Which of your teammates do you have in your mobile phone?

Arbeloa, Leto and Yossi Benayoun. Yossi is my friend because we were at West Ham together for six months, and he helped me a lot there. I think that's it.
Is there anyone in training you don't look forward to tackling?

Sometimes, but training isn't really like that. You don't want to injure anyone. You work so hard running and doing weights, but when you play football 11 against 11, or seven on seven, you are not tackling hard.

Okay, finally, pick your LFC five-a-side team?

Stevie Gerrard, Pepe, Carra, Xabi and Dirk Kuyt. Dirk is fantastic, I like him. He works very hard in every game and every training session. He has class and is technically good – a fantastic player, for me.

You're not including yourself?

[Laughs] No, no way.
返回列表